Got my main rulebook open, and I have the pdf of the old LRB on my laptop as I type. It's time to see what 5th edition has changed, rules wise. Here's a running tally as I find them:
- Handoff and Foul are not in the actions in the Basic Rules; they are instead in the Advanced section, later in the book. This explains why they're not on the quick start guide cards. They are mentioned, though. (it wasn't an oversight)
- Under causes for a turnover, the four minute time limit is GONE! No more hourglasses or stopwatches! This assists new players. I bet it will make a comeback in an advanced book later. EDIT: It is in the Advanced section of the rules.
- Minor change: several of the rules use the genderless "they" or "themselves" to refer to players, when identical wording in the old book is "him" or "himself." I think this is for teams with female players, such as Amazons, who will hopefully be included in a later rules set (if only for the die-hard Amazon players!)
- Rules for team building do not include Skill Types for normal and doubles. This is corrected in the Death Zone supplement.
- Human Catchers reduced from 70,000gp to 60,000gp.
- Assistant Coaches, Cheerleaders, and Apothecaries/Necromancers are no longer listed during team creation.
- Each player gets Special Play cards, randomly decided (1:1 card, 2-5:2 cards, and 6:3 cards). A Magic Item deck is mentioned, but not present in the box set (expansions ahoy!)
- Because a D16 is added to the box set, you don't need to draw chits from a mug! Not that you needed to in the past, but you had to buy your own D16...
- Obviously, Cheerleaders and Assistant Coaches are not mentioned in the Cheering Fans and Brilliant Coaching results on the Kickoff Table.
- The Skills section is MUCH shorter. Skills for teams that are not out yet have been omitted. (for example, Prehensile Tail is not listed as Lizardmen or other tail-having races have not been re-released) EDIT: most missing skills are in Death Zone.
- League rules are omitted, as they are in Death Zone. On that note...
The following is a list of things from the League supplement, Death Zone:
- Skaven Gutter Runners now have the Weeping Dagger skill, which lets them hurt people better.
- Nurgle Warriors are renamed Bloaters in the Nurgle Teams, but are identical.
- Beasts of Nurgle are renamed Rotspawn, identical as well.
- "Elf Teams" are renamed Elven Union Teams.
Wood Elf Treemen now have a new Extraordinary Skill: TIMMM-BER! Knocked down models with this skill receive a +1 to the roll to stand up, if MA is less than 3. A roll of 1 always fails. Assisting models can't be in enemy tackle zones (just like assisting a Block or Foul). This extra skill does not alter the Treeman's cost!EDIT: This rule has been invalidated by errata, see the bottom of the post.
- MVP is now LESS RANDOM! This is an incredible advance on the old rules. Now, select 3 players from your team and roll a D3 to decide which is MVP! No more handing out MVP to dead players, or giving MVP to a useless player who already has too many SPP or can't benefit from another skill.
- Under Inducements, Petty Cash as a concept is gone (which is good, because it was always confusing!) Instead, the coach with the higher team value can purchase Inducements with their gold, then the opposing coach gets gold = team value difference and can spend it.
- Without the Petty Cash rule, a lower team could spend any amount in their treasury on inducements without penalty. In the old Blood Bowl, Petty Cash added to your Team Value, and so lower valued teams could only spend their Inducement money and no more, unless they transferred to Petty Cash an amount GREATER THAN the Inducements, because Petty Cash added to their Team Value, and thus Inducements would be reduced by the amount of Petty Cash, making it useless.
- In additon, higher value teams can now spend away, not giving their opponent any additional Inducement money! This can mean that a rich team could go into each match with a bunch of expensive inducements.
- Bloodweiser Babes are now Bloodweiser Kegs.
- Halfling Master Chefs are gone...
- Igor is gone...
- Wizards are reduced to 100,000gp from 150,000gp.
- Special Play cards are changed, so that instead of drawing randomly, you draw X, keep X-1, and X increases as the value of the higher team increases. You can also purchase Special Play cards, which increase the value of X for you by one (not your opponent!)
- EXPENSIVE MISTAKES are a new addition to the post-game sequence! Now, if your treasury exceeds 100,000gp, your players tend to do stupid and/or expensive things. The larger your treasury, the stupider they act, as the money goes to their heads! You roll on a table and lose no GP if you avert the crisis, but if there is an incident, you lose some GP, sometimes most of it! Hoarding GP is no longer a good idea! Too bad for teams that have expensive "big" players that don't buy them during Team Creation... Saving up for them is risky!
- Skills are all back, but skills listed below are in the LRB but not in this supplement:
- Ball & Chain
- Diving Tackle
- Fan Favourite
- Multiple Block
- Piling On (note: this IS in the book, but is listed as optional, as it's been reported as OP)
- In addition, these skills are in Death Zone but not the LRB:
- Monstrous Mouth (similar to Sure Hands)
- Timmm-ber! (described above)
- Weeping Dagger (if this model causes an injury of 11-38: Badly Hurt, roll a D6. On a 4+, that injured player also suffers a Miss Next Game)
- COACH MODELS HAVE AN IN-GAME EFFECT! When a player is sent off, roll a D6. On a 6, the call is reversed! On a 1, your coach is sent off, and you cannot argue again for the game, plus you get a -1 to Brilliant Coaching rolls!
- Assistant Coaches, Cheerleaders, and Apothecaries are back.
Note: Death Zone is a proper softcover book with a strong cardstock cover; much more sturdy than the main rulebook, which is a double-stapled booklet! (/print nerd)
...and that's it! I might try the App next. Who knows?
EDIT: It seems there are three errata documents already! You can find them here, at the bottom of the page. Here's an analysis of these documents.
-Blood Bowl Main Rulebook FAQ
Most of these FAQs are straight from the LRB, some of which are even identically worded. One notable exception is the first one: a player who is sent off for a foul, who then has their coach roll a 6 and reverse that call, still causes a turnover.
-Teams of Legend Supplemental Document
HOLY CRAP! ALMOST ALL PREVIOUS TEAMS, PLUS A COUPLE NEW ONES ARE CONTAINED HEREIN! The Konquata Monitors are now legal and ready to play! Here's a list of new stuff, including teams:
- New Chaos Renegades team: A team of up to 12 human linemen who can get the Mutation skills on a NORMAL ADVANCE ROLL. IN addition, the team can have 0-1 of EACH the following: Goblin, Skaven, Dark Elf, Troll, Ogre, Minotaur. Bring a Troll, Minotaur, and Ogre for three big guys on the front line, throw in a Goblin for Right Stuff plays.
- QUICK THOUGHT: If a Chaos Renegades team has an Ogre (Throw Team-mate), a Troll (Throw Team-mate) and a Goblin (Right Stuff), can the Ogre move up in one turn, and then on the next turn, the Troll throw the Goblin, have the Goblin land next to the Ogre, and have the Ogre throw the Goblin for a double throw? Such a play would be risky, but could potentially see a goblin go all the way across the field in one turn!
- New Underworld Denizens team: Skaven with Goblins instead of Gutter Runners, and a Troll instead of a Rat Ogre.
- Amazons have some name changes for their positions, but are otherwise the same.
- Chaos Dwarfs also name changes but nothing else.
- Skills, such as Animosity, Bombardier, etc. that apply to these teams are listed here, if they are not in the main rulebook.
- Chaos Teams are now called Chaos Chosen teams, and have a few name changes.
- Halflings are back, and underneath them the Halfling Master Chef is back! Oddly, the Halfling's Treemen have the Timmm-ber! skill, while it is purged from Wood Elf Treemen in the Death Zone FAQ (see below). An oversight? Perhaps the FAQ needs an FAQ?
- Khemri are now Khemri Tomb Kings, and have name changes.
- In addition, Igor is back as an inducement, and can work for teams with undead players!
- Lizardmen have very minor name changes.
- Norse Werewolves are now called Ulfwerenar.
- Necromantic teams are now Necromantic Horror teams, and have minor name changes.
- Both Necromantic Horror and Shambling Undead (see below) gain a Necromancer instead of a coach, that can give your team free zombies! This is not new though.
- Undead teams are now Shambling Undead teams, minor name changes.
- Ogre Teams now have "runts" instead of Snotlings, so you can use Snotlings, Knoblars, or anything else thematic. This makes the Ogre team canon with Ogre Kingdoms from Fantasy.
- Vampire teams have minor name changes.
-Death Zone Season 1 FAQ
Minor changes to skills, including the purging of any use of the Timmm-ber! skill from Wood Elves' Treemen.
...and that's all folks!